Sunday, September 29, 2013

Kimmel and Kanye

During this past week I checked my twitter feed to find it bombarded with tweets from Kanye bashing Jimmy Kimmel. Wondering what this was about I checked into it.

The feud started when Kimmel made a skit poking fun of Kanye's interview with BBC. The interview is split into four parts on youtube. In the first part Kanye starts off by saying how he is trying to stray from the classic pop songs of today. Kanye wants to be different and he wants to change the face of music. I believe he is changing music and in a positive way, especially with his newest album, Yeezus. 

The interviewer, Zane lowe, goes on to ask "So does it feel like a duty to you to challenge yourself, or capture the listener's ear?" This next part is where Kanye goes astray for me. He answers saying "I showed people that I understand how to make perfect. Dark Fantasy could be considered perfect. I know how to make perfect." There is a thin line between being an egotistical blockhead, and being a musical genius. Kanye seemed to step over that line in this interview, especially when Kanye called himself a "God". 

Kimmel had some fun with this interview and made a "Kanye Kid (re)Kreation". I found it to be pretty funny honestly. Kanye, on the other hand, wasn't to thrilled. Kanye responded with a multitude of tweets and a personal call to Kimmel himself. Apparently Kanye told Kimmel that Kimmel needed to publicly apologize to him. Kanye then further embarrassed himself when his tweets just turned into a mess of incoherent nonsense. Kanye created some memes, such as this spongebob one, that I intentionally cropped, so that the bottom of the meme wasn't shown because of some inappropriate language.

I really am a Kanye fan and enjoy his music very much, but when he says extremely arrogant things like "I am a God" or just stupid things like "how many people do you see with leather jogging pants" I can't help but laugh at the parody's. Kanye's ego is a little out of hand, but maybe if Kanye didn't have that kind of an ego, he wouldn't make amazing music. Do you think this Kimmel/Kanye feud is out of hand? Do you think Kanye needs to calm down? Do you think Kimmel is being to critical of Kanye? Do you think Kanye is out of line to say outrageous things like "I am a God"? 

No comments:

Post a Comment